Bulbs As Favors For Weddings and Special Events
Flower bulbs make great favors for special events (such as weddings, birthday parties, corporate gatherings, and seminars) and can be a wonderful way for your guests to remember the special occasion for years to come! Flower bulbs are seasonal items and therefore, are not available at all times of the year due to availability based on harvest times. Summer blooming (spring planted) bulbs make wonderful favors for events occurring in the months of March through June. Spring blooming (fall planted) bulbs are great for events occurring in late August through November.
Spring Planted (Summer Blooming) Bulbs
For weddings in the spring months such as March, April, May or June, flower bulbs can make a nice gift for your guests! Your guests can take their bulbs home after the wedding and immediately plant the bulbs, and enjoy the blooms later in the year to remind them of your special day! For brides and grooms who want to use bulbs as favors at their spring wedding, the following bulbs work best: Oriental Lilies, Asiatic Lilies, Calla Lilies, Gladiolus, Oxalis, Crocosmia, Buttercups, and Peacock Orchids. Some bulbs such as Lilies, Calla Lilies and Gladiolus can be handed out as favors by giving each guest 1-3 bulbs. Smaller bulbs like Oxalis, Crocosmia, Buttercup and Peacock Orchids look best when each guest is given at least 3 bulbs.
A fun option if you aren’t sure that all of your guests will want a flower bulb, is to make a bulb buffet where guests can pick and choose which bulbs they would like and how many of each. If you are going to make a bulb buffet for your spring wedding, get some cute boxes or organza bags, and ask your guests to fill the box or bag up with their favorite flower bulbs as a way to remember your special day!
Fall Planted (Spring Blooming) Bulbs
If you have an upcoming event in September, October or November and you're in zones 3-10, tulip, daffodil, crocus, muscari, dutch iris and scilla bulbs will work splendidly as favors. If you're not sure how to choose which varieties to purchase, we can help! Variables to consider include color (Does your event have a color scheme?), location (Do your guests live in zones 2-10?) and numbers (How many guests will you have and how many bulbs each do you want to give them?). Let these considerations guide you while searching for the perfect fall favors.
*Special Order Wedding Tulips: Special Order Tulips are available for shipping starting August 15th. These top size (12+/cm) tulip bulbs are a special order item which are air-freighted to us here in the States to allow for them to be available earlier than normal. These tulips are available in pink, purple, red, yellow, white and mixed colors. They are available for purchase per bulb but are not available on our website for regular online ordering.
For pricing and to special order these early shipment tulips for your big event, please
Packaging & Presentation of Bulbs as Wedding Favors
Packaging and Presentation are very important when it comes to giving bulbs away as wedding favors. Below are some ideas on how you can design the perfect little gifts for your guests:
- Wrap each bulb or group of bulbs in a piece of tulle to make a bulb satchel. Cut a piece of corresponding ribbon to tie to the satchel with a card that includes planting instructions or a note from the bride and groom.
- Place bulbs in decorative boxes and include a note with planting instructions on the inside of the box.
- For a rustic outdoor wedding or event, wrap each bulb in burlap with twine to secure closed.
- Purchase decorative "Chinese takeout" boxes and fill with an assortment of small bulbs such as muscari, allium or squills.
- Build a bulb buffet, using a mix of bulbs as well as containers to store the bulbs in. Make small information cards about each bulb so when the guests are make their selections they will know which bulbs are best suited for their planting areas. Provide small paper bags and markers for the guests to put the bulbs from the buffet in.
- Check out our blog post featuring other ideas for incorporating bulbs into your next event or wedding.